Pages

October 15, 2010

A True Kansas-Citian

For as long I can remember, I've had a hard time choking down any type of BBQ. BBQ chicken, ribs, pulled meat sandwiches...you name it...I avoided it. About a month ago, I attended a wedding vendors meet and mingle where there were plenty of door prizes being handed out. I never win anything...ever. Well wouldn't ya know! My number was called out. I'd won a bottle of BBQ sauce and a shaker of Rib rub. Wow. This was gonna collect some serious dust at our house.


Fast forward two weeks. We attended the annual Grill Masters BBQ Competition at our church. Door prizes were being raffled off and this "girl who never wins anything" bought a ticket. And I won. Not one bottle of sauce. Not two bottles of sauce. But four bottles of sauce and rub and various grilling paraphernalia! As Tyler and I stared at all the smoky flavored goodness sitting on our counter, we couldn't help but wonder if the Lord was jokingly telling us that we'd started the wrong type of business.


I am happy to report that after sampling various charred (and oh so tasty) meats at the Grill Masters, as well as gobbling down my first ever Burnt Ends Sandwich...I have been converted. Tyler about sent our van off the road when I asked for BBQ for lunch last weekend. He's a happy boy! I now know what BBQ can be (and what it shouldn't be), and I am happy to know I am now a true Kansas-Citian


What's your favorite BBQ joint??? Favorite menu item???

1 comment:

Maggie said...

haha I never knew that about you!

Hmm... favorite BBQ place is up in Tonganoxie (SP?). It's called "Fat Sam's". We know the owner- he used to do his BBQ business out of his home while working full time, and just within the past year finally opened his restaurant. Best item there? By far, the baked beans. There are chunks of burnt ends in it, its a little spicy, but oooo so good.