Pages

September 14, 2010

Rain Puddles, Paper Cranes, and a Swing Set

It was September 14, 2002. I had just returned from a two day volleyball tournament and logged into msn messenger from my dorm room. bluephase21 was logged in. Finally. I'd waited about a month for us to be online at the same time. Then I did it. I initiated a conversation. I don't remember what we talked about. I just remember ending it with, "Well, I'm headed to Java if you want to join me."
I wasn't really headed to Java, but that was my pathetic attempt of asking him on a date...without actually asking him out on a date (that would have been pathetic). To my surprise, he said okay. We agreed to meet in 15mins and walk there together. Like I mentioned before, I had just returned from a volleyball tournament. I hadn't even showered yet. I decided right there that I wasn't going to. I certainly didn't want it to seem as though I was gussyin' myself up for him. So I took the chance that he wouldn't care what I looked (or smelled like). As I rounded the corner I saw he was wearing a pair of jeans, tennis shoes, and a white undershirt. Perfect. He didn't care what he looked like either.

It had rained an hour or so earlier. On our way to Java (aka Blue Stem Bistro) I decided it would be cool to jump in a few of the puddles. I think it took him off guard, but he laughed. Once we got to Java we spent about an hour chatting about nothing and everything. Then he taught me something. Paper cranes. I'll never forget it. I was so smitten with this boy and he wasn't doing anything to deter me. Once we grew tired of the hub bub of the coffee shop we decided to take a walk. We ended up at a local park and sat on the swing talking for at least another hour or so. We finally made it back to my dorm and sat in the lobby chatting until the absolute last minute (Freshman had a curfew at my school). When we finally ended the night I was on cloud nine.

God had spoken into my heart months earlier (upon first meeting him - I was only 17) that he was the one I'd marry. I didn't understand it at first, but I knew that night that God wasn't kidding. Tyler was the one.

Since that night, we've had our ups and downs (and even a time apart), but one thing remains - no one will ever love me like he does. 8 years later, we still jump in puddles but now we include our two sons. He still makes paper cranes, but he's now teaching Truett. We still drink coffee, but the decaf kind. We still swing at the park, but only when we've pushed our boys first.

I love you, Tyler. You're still God's best for me. Happy September 14th.




















1 comment:

Annie said...

What a wonderful love story you have! God truly brought you two together, there is no doubt about that. I remember that Sunday night very well. After church you (Kami) told me that God told you you were going to marry Tyler. TO be honest, I did not believe it was really God. But look who was wrong! Those photographs and lovely and I know you two will have so many more memories to look back on!

oh and I remember you gushing over those paper cranes! You loved them so much!